Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Love Like That
I was part of the sweetest moment today. While standing in the crowded Costco food court, a smiling older gentleman approached me. He was tall, with a kind face, and must have been in his eighties. His left arm was in a sling. He gestured to my children in the grocery cart - Elise, with a hot dog in one hand and a soda in the other; and Emerson, wide-eyed and observant in his car seat - and commented how precious they were. I thanked him for such a thoughtful compliment. He then asked if I could do him a small favor.
"Do you see that little lady in the wheelchair over there?" he asked. "Would you mind showing her your children? She would just love that."
I gladly wheeled my cart alongside the table his wife was sitting at while the man called her name softly and pointed to my babies. Her face lit up. She talked with Elise for a few minutes and leaned forward to admire Emerson in his carrier. The gentleman thanked me and they waved goodbye as we left.
I've thought of the couple all day. I wish I would have visited with them longer. Do they have family nearby? How often do they see their grandchildren? Is there anyone to take care of them? Mostly, I wish I would have told the man how much I admired his love for his wife. I admired that he thought of her; that he wanted to make her happy.
It was only a moment in my busy day, but it was a sweet one. Theirs is a true love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is the sweetest story! Made me tear up. Such a boob. Also, that is the most darling picture. Elise is such a sweet big sister!
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh! what a sweet story! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete